8.02.2008

Underrated Burma

I'm not going to get into a huge thing about the Dark Knight. Mainly because my feelings about it should be pretty obvious, and I don't want to let my inner fan boy erupt on my blog. So what I'll do is just quote what I feel will become the most underrated monologue in movies:

Alfred: A long time ago I was in Burma, my friends and I were working for the local government. They were trying to buy the loyalty of local leaders by bribing them with precious stones. But their caravans were being raided in a forest by a bandit. So we went looking for the stones. But in six months we never met anyone who traded with him. One day I saw a child playing with a ruby the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away.

Bruce: So why steal them?

Alfred: Well because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical. Like money. They cant be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Then, after a lot of things happen and explode:

Bruce: That bandit, did you ever catch him?
Alfred: Yes.
Bruce: How?
Alfred: We burned the forest down

3 comments:

Lark(e) said...

Now in my opinion this is one of the moments where the movie takes a baseball bat to the head of the audience and is like "LET ME EXPLAIN IT TO YOU!" ::Whack:: "WHAT YOU DON'T GET IT YET?" ::Whack:: "THE JOKER IS TOO SUBTLE?" ::Whack:: ::WhackWhackWhack::
But that's just me.

Good Bet Ash said...

Who ever said subtle was better? It's a good monologue that directly parallels the story. Alfred would burn down the forest, but Batman won't burn down Gotham because it's in his rules. Plus, Michael Caine is awesome.

rachel blue eyes said...

When I read this dialogue, I thought "Of course they're going to burn down forests in Burma instead of Gotham, because Burma gets no respect from anyone, including China and the Olympic commitee who planned the opening ceremonies on the 20th anniversary of the killing of 10,000 peaceful Burmese protestors!"
Yeah I should clearly never see this movie.