10.07.2008

Wayne/Bartlett '08

Apparently this year is an election year. I've gone back and forth about the candidates, policies, it's so much fun. I've developed a sort of bipartisanship with politics recently and I've been trying to decide if I should vote.

Before some of you jump on me and stab me with your Obama pins, I challenge most people to actually know who they're voting for before they vote for them. I'm all for universal health care, but money doesn't appear out of no where. Where's it come from? The upper class tax cuts? What's that mean? I have yet to hear someone explain to me, or any media station, HOW anyone will fix the economy. I watched about half an hour of tonight's debate before both my mom and I were like, ok they're both done saying new things, let's watch House.

Putting policy aside, I think Obama is a better candidate for our country in terms of confidence. America needs someone to be confident in before anything else. We need a reason to buy a Ford and stop buying Chinese stock. I think people will rally around Obama sooner than they will rally around Mcain. Does that mean one is a better leader than the other? I don't know.

Then when you look at the VP race...well, all goes out the window. Biden is a solid candidate who can't get a sentence out and Palin can't finish a sentence without winking. And you really have to picture either of them as President. Mcain is 72 and I'll be the first to say it, Obama is black. Both of them are just as likely, in my mind, to not finish out their presidency. Do you want 4 years of Biden/Pelosi? Palin/Pelosi? I think the latter has a nice ring to it, just for comedy's sake.

Either way, I have until next Tuesday to register to vote. I'm not registered, nope. Didn't vote last election, so I guess you can blame me for single handedly keeping Bush in office. Yeah yeah yeah. If everyone went by the theory that their 1 vote didn't matter then no one would vote. But the truth is, that's not going to happen. I could not vote and no one would know the difference. Maryland would still stay democratic and everyone's lives would go on.

I'll go to the DMV tomorrow and register. But I don't know if I'm still voting. How's the write in for Bruce Wayne sound? Or Jeb Bartlett? Or Bill Pullman from Independence Day.

1 comment:

rachel blue eyes said...

I wrote a really long response to this and just erased it, so I'm going to write it again, only shorter. This is economics HOW I UNDERSTAND IT, based on countless NYT and New York magazine articles.

McCain actually has related ideas about how to fix the economy. One is for the government to take over the failed loans. The other (which my dad said was a good idea) is to let people keep their 401ks as long as they want, rather than forcing people to cash out at 71 (which is what they do now). That way people have time to let their money build up again rather than having to take it out when the market sucks. (I'm pretty sure it's the 401k but it might be some other financial thing).

Now that I think about it, Obama did say that he thinks the government should take over failed loans, but will reevaluate them to see if the people can pay mortages on what the house is worth NOW rather than on what they arranged in the past (which people theoretically can't pay anyway). This helps out the homeowner and not just the lenders. Other than that, he hasn't said anything, which is smart because he's ahead and can avoid being criticized for not following through. Smart election strategy, but disappointing on Obama's part.

Oh and I have a new blog now.