10.27.2008

27 Outs Away

So most of you should know that I'm a big baseball fan. Most of you should know that I'm a big Phillies fan. But what most of you don't know is what this feels like. Watching your baseball team in the World Series is a completely indescribable experience.

Ok, Asher whatever you say you nut. But it's very hard to really describe. I'll try and explain. So I played baseball when I was kid. My first team went undefeated, but we lost in the 1st round of the playoffs. I played in middle school and into high school. I think the sport itself is more pure than any other sport, and is the most mentally and physically challenging sport out there now. Maybe next to Australian Football.

So I grow up knowing baseball, watching baseball, and went up to see Phillies games in high school, just because my dad was from Philly so I decided they were my team. Bought a hat, and followed them ever since.

The players playing now, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins, Pat Burrell, Cole Hamels, Brett Myers, all came up through the Philadelphia organization. That means they were brought in to the team as AA and AAA players, were groomed in our system and stayed with us into the beginnings of their careers. I've watched these guys grow over the years. I remember Chase Utleys first game and understanding that he would be our future. I remember watching a AAA Cole Hamels game highlights because he was our big prospect.

You go season in and season out taking strides and making moves to get better a little bit at a time. Watching losing seasons and rookies learning the game. Watch vets play through their careers. For 162 games, from April to September, waiting to see if they make the playoffs.

And well...once they make the playoffs, once Shane Victorino hits his first career grand slam against the best pitcher in the NL, once 40 year old Matt Stairs comes off the bench and belts a 2 run home run in the top of the 8th in a tied ball game, once Carlos Ruiz is a hero with a 45 foot dribbler down the line in the bottom of the 9th...once all that happens.

All that's left is game 5. At home. With our ace on the mound.

No comments: